Tuesday 20 October 2009

Flevoland - A positive vision of the future





At last I have found an area where wind has been fully embraced without hesitation.
The flat landscape provides a lot of wind power (enough to blow my trike along when I left it unattended without the brake!) and wind turbines were everywhere, providing an amazing 60% of the region's energy.
I recorded a video, and couldn't resist adding a caustic comment about the number of schemes blocked by NIMBYs in Britain, and the number of lives this has cost.
I took a picture of Frans van Schoot in his velomobile next to a wind turbine - the future of energy and transport - I hope!
While I was in Flevoland Frans also took me to an ecological housing development. The houses have solar panels and insulation and the gardens are carefully designed to be kind to the environment.
In Dronten I visited one of the few factories where velomobiles are manufactured . It is a shame there are not more of these; I think they have the potential to act as a substitute for a car - you can go quite fast, as long as you are reasonably strong, and it isn't too hilly, and with some of them you can put a roof up when it's raining so you stay dry

No comments: