Monday 12 October 2009

Breda


On Saturday 10th I cycled in my new ICE trike from Antwerp over the Dutch border to Breda, which has won an award as the most sustainable city in the Netherlands (which in a country like the Netherlands, which is well known for its environmental consciousness, is really something).

I had a discussion with Wilbert Wellems (an alderman - which is a bit like an executive councillor in England) and Selcuk Akinci, chair of the Groen Links (Green Left) group of three city councillors, about Breda's environmental policies.

One of the things that struck me was the cooperative way in which they went about implementing their green policies, working closely with groups like farmers and businesses in getting them to reduce their carbon emissions.

In Breda I stayed with Jan Broekman, and I recorded several video interviews with him about his wildlife garden, the river running past it which has been engineered to store water to prevent flooding, and the many green modifications to his house